Friday, November 5, 2010

Media

In popular media (and often times the news), nannies are not often portrayed as positive people.  The few negative ones out there inspire writers.  When I see a nanny on a TV show, I also do not like the character. Not only for who she (or he) is, but how others will judge me because of this character.

I am a pretty big fan of the show Private Practice, and Violet & Pete have a nanny for their son Lucas.  This can just as easily be described as a soap opera, and last night's show Did You Hear What Happened to Charlotte King was powerful.  After the nanny picked up Lucas, Violet was talking to Pete, and said this:  "She takes care of our son.  She keeps him safe.  We should pay her everything we've got."

It got me thinking.  Tinkerbell thinks that I don't work; but I work really hard every day.  I take care of the most prized possesions in the world.  I have structured conversations, eliciting conversations which will help the children develop.  I create situations in which they can learn.  I cook food which will help them grow physically.  I play.  I dance.  I have music playing all the time.  I adapt at the flip of a coin, and I work alongside Mom & Dad, even though it doesn't always seem that way.  I can't explain any of this to Tinkerbell, but I can say: Yes I do, I take care of you & Bill Nye so that you have more time to play when Mommy & Daddy get home from work.  And that answer works for a four year old.

I want to thank the writers of Private Practice for not only making that nanny a positive influence, but also for making the parents grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment