Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Religion

In life, religion is a tense topic to discuss.  I know what I believe in, but I certainly don't think everyone needs (or should) believe the same way I do.

With that being said, after my family got back from a trip to Italy, Tinkerbell started talking about God.  That first day I responded to her comments with "okay"s, "yes"'s and other one word answers.  This is because I didn't know how Mom & Dad wanted me to proceed.  I talked to Dad when he got home that night and the decision that was made was it is okay to talk to and listen to what the children say, but in no way to say it is the only way or that they are right and wrong.  Basically, take an educational stance on it.

Last week, we were driving to meet friends on Veterans Day, and Bill Nye told me "I don't believe in God.  I believe in the Big Bang Theory."  He is such a literal person that in my head my response was "No shit." But I asked him why, and he told me about the books he read and how it's different from what he's heard about the Bible stories.  I went on to explain how many people can believe in multiple versions of creation since no one alive was actually there, and that believing in something is about what makes you comfortable.  I made sure to tell him that I love to know what he believes in, but to make sure that when he talks to people he doesn't tell them that his belief, and what he believes in is what is right.  He is very smart, so this is definitely a concern (and not just for religious beliefs) since he thinks he is always right.

I have a few questions about this.  Is there anyone else out there who has had this discussion with children they take care of?  Are the parents supportive and do your beliefs interfere/differ from the families?  If they do, how do you respect all views?

No comments:

Post a Comment